Friday, August 17, 2007

Old hymns.

I have a thing for old hymns. It most likely comes from growing up in a youth groups under the influence of one who was leading up the revolution of rewriting music to them, combined with 4 years in RUF. The lyrics are so rich and the new music (especially coming out of the Indelible Grace project) is just incredible. Some days I just need to hear the lyrics, like today, for example, when I read this (hat tip to CGO):

Encompassed with Clouds of Distress

Encompassed with clouds of distress, and tempted all hope to resign,
I pant for the light of thy face, that I in thy beauty might shine.
Disheartened with waiting so long, I sink at thy feet with my load;
All plaintive I pour out my song, and stretch forth my hands unto God.


If sometimes I strive, as I mourn, my hold of thy promise to keep,
The billows more fiercely return, and plunge my again in the deep,
While harassed and cast from thy sight, the tempter suggests with a roar,
"The Lord has forsaken thee quite; thy God will be gracious no more."


Shine, Lord, and my terror shall cease; the blood of atonement apply;
And lead me to Jesus for peace, the rock that is higher than I.
Speak Saviour, for sweet is thy voice; thy presence is fair to behold;
I thirst for thy spirit, with cries and groanings that cannot be told.


Yet, Lord, if thy love has designed no covenant blessing for me,
Ah! Tell me, how is it I find some sweetness in waiting for thee?
Almighty to rescue thou art, thy grace is immortal and free;
Lord, succour and comfort my heart, and make me live wholly to thee.


... and make me live wholly to thee. Please, Lord.

No comments: