Sunday, September 16, 2007

Seriously?

Apparently gas pumps work slightly differently in California than in other states.

As in, I couldn't get it to work today and had to push the "help" button so the attendant could come fix it.

I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong when no gas would come out of the nozzle. I had swiped my credit card, hit the correct button for the cheapest-octane gas, taken the nozzle off its holder, and put the nozzle into my gas tank. And then nothing happened. The screen said "ready to begin fueling," but all there was in the nozzle was slack when I held it down to start fueling. I double checked everything, but still... slack. So, deciding that I'd rather feel like an idiot by asking for help than drive any longer with my "need gas" light illuminated, I pressed the "help" button. The attendant came out, pushed the nozzle further into my gas tank, and the fueling started. Apparently the crinkly thing on the nose of the nozzle actually vacuum seals to the outer rim of the opening and it won't dispense gas until sealed.

Lesson learned. And at least I still have Illinois plates on my car!

No comments: