Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Thoughts on life in the CA.

That's right. The CA. As in "the 5" or "the 101" or "the..." (insert any highway or interstate number here); that's apparently how we roll out here.

Maybe that's why the tv show was called "The OC" !!

Random, interesting (to me, at least) things have happened here recently.

First, I finally broke down and canceled my Verizon cell phone. I figure since no one's accidentally called it in the last week or so other than my dad (please change your speed dial!), everyone got the memo that I got a new number. I am now officially an AT&T-only cell phone user. The whole 2-cell phone thing was wearing -- I'm not sure how Spencer does it (The Hills, anyone?)

Second, I saw a car with a license plate that was only 6 numbers higher than mine!! For those of you who don't live in the CA or know its license plate scheme, it's 7 characters in a number-three letter-three number pattern. They assign them as sequentially as possible, although since they hand you the plates while you're at the DMV, they can't be exactly sequential down to the second you applied for CA plates. Anyway, I saw a car that had the EXACT SAME license plate number as mine, plus 6. I don't know why that was so fascinating to me, other than that it meant that person was probably at the same DMV as me on the same day.... but it was really exciting at the time. (Heck, I still think it's kind of cool.)

Third, the weather here has been absolutely crummy lately! I mean, one day, it looked like this outside while I was biking to work...

... and it stayed like that for a whole HOUR, misting on me! I mean, seriously... isn't life in the CA supposed to be ALL sunshine and palm trees? That being said, it legitimately is cooler here than I thought it would be. I got a Stanford hooded sweatshirt right when I got here, thinking I wouldn't wear until November at least -- I've worn it approximately every other day since I've been here.

Fourth, I've switched almost exclusively to gChat and away from IM. gChat is like IM but feels significantly more "grown-up" to me than the IM that I associate so clearly with my first year of college when you would hear the dings of messages being sent back and forth as you walked down the hall to the bathroom. gChat. Just do it.

Last, I'm going to a party on Saturday night where the suggested/required attire is "Dress to represent Freedom." Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should be Nelson Mandela.